TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

TAS Reviews: Oppenheimer

In an era where franchises have dominated the world of cinema, there are two words that are almost as powerful as just about any IP or brand: Christopher Nolan. The man has directed some of my favourite movies, whether it's The Dark Knight - which is one of the greatest superhero movies ever made - or Interstellar - which is the first movie to ever bring me to tears. As a writer, he has used his movies to explore profound and unique ideas and concepts, and as a director, he is determined to utilise the media of cinema in as practical of a way possible, in order to create immersive, lived-in worlds and experiences. With that said, I haven't been a fan of his past few movies. Though Dunkirk and Tenet proved to be visually interesting experiments, both movies were anchored in about as much character depth as a Sunday Morning Cartoon. While I was initially cynical about Oppenheimer - a historical biopic that explores the life of it's titular character and his role in the creation of the atomic bomb - I found myself undoubtedly excited as we neared release, and optimistic that this movie would signal a return to the roots for Nolan - who despite being an incredibly gifted visual director, always grounded his movies in narrative and characters. More than just a return to roots, Oppenheimer is an immersive experience that takes the protagonist's feelings and plights and makes them belong to the audience, proving to be as engrossing as only the greatest novel could.

No Caption Provided

In the lead up to the movie, Nolan spoke a lot about the fact that he unconventionally wrote the script for this movie in 1st person, in order to get readers inside the head of J. Robert Oppenheimer. This seeps into every aspect of the filmmaking, and informs every decision. Nolan shot the movie in 70mm IMAX, the highest resolution that exists in cinema, and in doing so not only captures the incredible landscapes, but makes the most of Cillian Murphy's all time great performance, utilising his face as a landscape of it's own. The music, as composer Ludwig Göransson described, comes from within Oppenheimer, and brilliantly immerses us in his feelings - whether it's crippling anxiety or the rush of the particles flowing in his head. It is a score that deserves to be spoken about in the same breathe as the greatest ever put to film. Though physicists talking and thinking about science should be the part that most average movie goers pine to be over, the manner in which Nolan and the VFX artists visually portray the science - through floating particles and visions of a desolate future - lead to some of the most riveting moments in the movie, ones which make you feel the same immersion as the protagonist.

No Caption Provided

Though the movie is primarily shot and presented in colour, Oppenheimer features the first use-of-black and white IMAX. Nolan is an IMAX veteran, with The Dark Knight being the first major motion picture to be filmed using the format. The director is also familiar with black-and-white, having previously used it as a narrative device in Memento. Though the majority of the movie is told through the perspective of Oppenheimer, the black-and-white is used to signal a shift in perspective to Lewis Strauss, played by Robert Downey Jr. in his first major role since the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Strauss is a man known for his intense antagonistic relationship with Oppenheimer, and through this role, is able to deliver an Oscar-worthy performance defined by restrained rage and bitterness that threatens to spill out at every moment. It is a complete reinvention, and one that is so natural, it never feels like it's begging to be recognised as such. In addition to Downey Jr., Oppenheimer's vast set of characters is brought to life with a terrific ensemble, with Florence Pugh, Emily Blunt, Josh Hartnett, Matt Damon, Gary Oldman, Alden Ehrenreich, Dane Dehaan, Benny Safdie and Casey Affleck, with the only weak links in the cast being some awkward performances from Josh Peck and Rami Malek.

No Caption Provided

In the lead up to this movie, there was a lot of anticipation for how Nolan would portray the trinity test, the first explosion of the atomic bomb, with many joking that the director - who tends to favour practical effects - would detonate a real nuke for accuracy's sake. Thankfully, this isn't the case, but you'll be left wondering just how Nolan managed to portray the explosion, delivering a stunning rendition of the explosion that, as he himself describes, is equal parts beautiful and terrifying, utilising sound design and visuals to deliver an unforgettable visual experience that left me holding my breathe, anxious to release it but knowing that when I did, I would be coming down from an experience that encapsulates just what movies are made for. It's a movie that is generous with such experiences, with segments and scenes that feel directly taken out of a horror movie, and some of the best use of audiovisuals to create an accurate simulation of anxiety, fear and isolation.

No Caption Provided

While contemporary writer-director Quentin Tarantino is primarily known for his writing, Nolan is primarily recognised as a director. Praise has been lavished on the screenplay of a movie such as The Dark Knight, but when you ask a film fan what they think when they think about Christopher Nolan, they're more likely to think about the guy who crashed a real plane for a set piece in Tenet, then the guy who wrote the iconic Joker monologues. That said, the inventive filmmaking techniques in this movie exist only in service to an impeccable screenplay. Though stories primarily exist to impart morals and lessons, Nolan's script presents feelings and experiences, and instead of telling you how to think or feel, it allows you to think and feel for yourself. The movie is devastating in it's portrayal of the doom of nuclear warfare, but despite it being described as incredibly subjective, it feels profoundly objective in that it never dictates how you should feel. By the end of the movie, you're left with some of the most profound final lines you'll experience, but no prescription on how to interpret them.

Conclusion

No Caption Provided

Some of my favourite movies benefit from the power of an incredible screenplay, and do just fine with that. Yet when a filmmaker like Nolan drops a movie such as this (as he previously did with Interstellar), he not only invites you into a powerful story, but invites you into a cinematic experience that utilises every single arsenal in the medium to immerse you in a way you didn't think previously possible, in a similar way that Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning previously did just last month. Every tool - whether it's the crisp imagery, the inventive use of sound, the remarkable performances and the breathtaking imagery - is utilised to pull you, as an audience member, into the film. What's so great is that none of this comes at the cost of writing, delivering a riveting screenplay that burns itself into your brain. Just as the spectators in these events watched history unfold, watching this movie makes one feel like they are watching cinema history in fold in front of their very eyes, cementing Nolan as the greatest to ever do it.

Score: 10/10

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

Great review. I agree that the final scene is very haunting. I think Nolan perfects his craft with this film. Its perhaps the greatest marriage of imagery and sound since 2001 or Tree of Life. Its like he mixed the strengths of Dunkirk (non linear storytelling, multiple timelines, anxiety inducing score) with Interstellar (awe inspiring imagery, heartfelt characters).

RDJ was great in this but Cillian was the real MVP, just an absoloutely insane performance. So layered and intricate. I also really like Josh Hartnett.

Curious where you hold this compared to Nolan's other films. IMO I'd put it in the top 5:

1. The Dark Knight
  2. Interstellar
  3. Inception
  4. Oppenheimer
  5. Dunkirk
Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

So what was the messaging like on soviet-style communism i.e. subjective or objective? Did the movie address Oppenheimer possibly being a Soviet spy or at least hint at it?

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Thanks! I agree with you on him combining the strengths of Dunkirk and Intersteller. Never thought about it that way. But I find it curious that you compared it to Tree of Life which is one of my least favourite movies ever.

As for my ranking with Nolan’s films, it’s definitely top 3. I’m thinking of doing a ranked list of his filmography.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6 krisbishop  Moderator

Well-written review as usual. I'm so glad you loved it as well.

While contemporary writer-director Quentin Tarantino is primarily known for his writing, Nolan is primarily recognised as a director. Praise has been lavished on the screenplay of a movie such as The Dark Knight, but when you ask a film fan what they think when they think about Christopher Nolan, they're more likely to think about the guy who crashed a real plane for a set piece in Tenet, then the guy who wrote the iconic Joker monologues. That said, the inventive filmmaking techniques in this movie exist only in service to an impeccable screenplay.

Perfectly put! And I'm a fan of Quentin's myself, he's probably my favourite director after Nolan.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great review. I have not seen the movie yet, but I hope I like when I do.

Jurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Soooooo was it better then Dead Reckoning or not?

IMO it was but the two of those are still the best movies of the year.

ScottyHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 122

Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One and Oppenheimer are 2023's 10/10s in your book. Fascinating. If I'm going to spend six hours at the movies it sounds like that's the double feature I should see.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scottyhawkeye: Honestly can’t believe we’ve gotten two movies THAT good within such a short time span.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScottyHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 122

@theamazingspidey: yeah. Then again one's a Mission Impossible movie and the other is a Nolan movie so it's not surprising.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cocacolaman  Moderator

Just curious, do they know you personally at your theater?

Also, copy-pasting some thoughts I had on the movie:

• The movie didn't really need to be R-Rated to maintain its quality, and that will hurt it in the box office
  • Cilian Murphy was phenomenal, the only reason I was not fully immersed in the movie's acting was RDJ being an actor that surpasses his characters at this point
  • The beginning was a bit boring but it was completely engaging every moment after that
  • Nolan really wanted to give me hearing aids at 19 lol
  • The bomb scene was done so well
  • Nonlinear storytelling is done to its peak here, it didn't take long for me to understand what was happening
  • The treatment of the atomic bomb throughout the movie, just the overall handling, was superb
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 frozen  Moderator

@cocacolaman: I don't think the R rating is even making much of a dent. Its completely shattering box office expectations. It had a higher domestic opening than Inception and Interstellar.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cocacolaman  Moderator

@frozen: I think the R rating would have mattered less if Barbie wasn't released right next to it. Oppenheimer's worldwide box office rn is 180 mill, Barbie's domestic is 162 mill. It might not have made a massive difference but I think it would have made a difference, at least.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 frozen  Moderator

@frozen: I think the R rating would have mattered less if Barbie wasn't released right next to it. Oppenheimer's worldwide box office rn is 180 mill, Barbie's domestic is 162 mill. It might not have made a massive difference but I think it would have made a difference, at least.

Oppenheimer was never going to beat Barbie at the BO anyway, it was never projected to. Barbie has mass appeal in a way Oppenheimer doesn't. However them releasing on the same day have mutually benefited one another. The Barbenheimer meme is actually a real thing which has boosted both of their box office takings.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cocacolaman  Moderator

@frozen: I didn't think it would beat Barbie either, but competition is competition even if the meme exists. I'm not saying that Oppenheimer would have an extra 100 mill by now or anything overly drastic just because of a single factor. But an R rating is always going to play some role.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cocacolaman: I don’t know if they know me hahaha. Perhaps I look familiar everytime I pop up.

As for the R-rating, I agree it didn’t NEED to be rated R, but the fact an R-rated movie can do great numbers such as this will perhaps continue to encourage studios to permit an R-rating for movies that really need it.

Avatar image for brogokudestroys
brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@cocacolaman: I don't think the R rating is even making much of a dent. Its completely shattering box office expectations. It had a higher domestic opening than Inception and Interstellar.

Yeah, I doubt it's stopping its impact.

brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Likely going to be seeing this movie tomorrow. Will give my thoughts afterward, but I can absolutely see it getting on the top 5

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Likely going to be seeing this movie tomorrow. Will give my thoughts afterward, but I can absolutely see it getting on the top 5

Gotta let me know what you think! Hope you enjoy it.

brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brogokudestroys said:

Gotta let me know what you think! Hope you enjoy it.

For sure. I think I'll be enjoying it a lot

MaulSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23 MaulSmacker  Online

10/10

Konohana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Konohana  Online

@maulsmacker said:

10/10

Jokes aside, this is the greatest movie I’ve ever seen; Barbie, for example was better in terms of enjoyability, but I was still really hooked with Oppenheimer’s story and plot.

calclord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great review.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: great review for a great movie.

Funny how two différent movies can make us so happy for totally different reasons (MI7 and Oppie).

Now more than ever RIP MCU, no?

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr: Thank you very much!

The MCU is honestly past their prime. Guardians 3 was great, but let’s not forget that movie was essentially a 2018/19 era MCU film that only released in 2023 because of delays and Gunn getting fired.

Shafamalam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shafamalam

Nice review, I do think this movie is a tad bit overrated though.

Like I can objectively see why people would view this as a 10/10. The acting was phenomenal, the score is beautiful, the cinematography is gorgeous and it did keep you on the edge of your seat at times and has a sick conclusion.

But I just feel it was WAY too long, I would've trimmed it down a bit (some parts did drag out, far too slow for my liking) and I dunno the whole thing isnt my vibe, like I prefer Nolans other stuff like Interstellar, Inception, TDK etc. the constant flash backs/fowards as well. I feel like there was a sound mixing problem, me and some others said we couldnt hear what some of the cast were saying at times (maybe I should watch it in IMAX with subtitles on next time lol)

It gets an 8/10 from me. Its still good cinema but its not a masterpiece for me and not Top 5 Nolan for me.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shafamalam: It’s honestly fair to simply not like or love a movie because it isn’t your thing! Movies are subjective - in the same way I simply can’t stand the texture of onions or pickles, is possible to simply not enjoy the feel or the texture of a film because of personal preference. I appreciate your perspective!

goldeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw it. AMAZING movie. The only, and I mean only thing that I did not feel was done justice was the explosion. There was really no way to recreate it practically. It just came off as a very big regular one. What he should have done is use footage of explosions underwater, for the beginning part of it, as they have the same look, then switch to a cgi overlay, or brightened mushroom cloud footage for the latter parts. Other than that though, it was incredible.

brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just came back from Oppenheimer. It's a phenomenal movie. My only issues were that it was a tad too long and my friends are full of shit and made the viewing experience not as good. Easy 9.5/10. From a direction standpoint, this is Nolan's masterpiece and it isn't really that close. The editing, acting, writing, story, characters, etc. are all amazing. It's just all around a fantastic movie. Definitely the best of the year.

Haven't seen Barbie but I've heard a lot of conflicting things about it from some pretty reliable people. Some have said it's garbage and others think it's amazing.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw it. AMAZING movie. The only, and I mean only thing that I did not feel was done justice was the explosion. There was really no way to recreate it practically. It just came off as a very big regular one. What he should have done is use footage of explosions underwater, for the beginning part of it, as they have the same look, then switch to a cgi overlay, or brightened mushroom cloud footage for the latter parts. Other than that though, it was incredible.

Glad you loved the movie, but I'm surprised you found that aspect disappointing. It was one of my favourite parts.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just came back from Oppenheimer. It's a phenomenal movie. My only issues were that it was a tad too long and my friends are full of shit and made the viewing experience not as good. Easy 9.5/10. From a direction standpoint, this is Nolan's masterpiece and it isn't really that close. The editing, acting, writing, story, characters, etc. are all amazing. It's just all around a fantastic movie. Definitely the best of the year.

Haven't seen Barbie but I've heard a lot of conflicting things about it from some pretty reliable people. Some have said it's garbage and others think it's amazing.

Glad you enjoyed it! And sorry about your terrible friends.

As for Barbie, I thought it was solid, but not amazing.

brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brogokudestroys said:

Glad you enjoyed it! And sorry about your terrible friends.

As for Barbie, I thought it was solid, but not amazing.

They're not terrible. They're just kinda dumb sometimes. Were just messing around the whole time. But yeah, I'm planning on seeing it again with just my dad and maybe my mom too

brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Great review. I agree that the final scene is very haunting. I think Nolan perfects his craft with this film. Its perhaps the greatest marriage of imagery and sound since 2001 or Tree of Life. Its like he mixed the strengths of Dunkirk (non linear storytelling, multiple timelines, anxiety inducing score) with Interstellar (awe inspiring imagery, heartfelt characters).

RDJ was great in this but Cillian was the real MVP, just an absoloutely insane performance. So layered and intricate. I also really like Josh Hartnett.

Curious where you hold this compared to Nolan's other films. IMO I'd put it in the top 5:

1. The Dark Knight
  2. Interstellar
  3. Inception
  4. Oppenheimer
  5. Dunkirk

Imo Interstellar would be below Inception, Memento would replace it as #2, and Oppenheimer is pretty solid. Prestige would probably also be up there

Starscream37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the review. Only real gripe I had with the movie (and tends to be an issue with Nolan’s movies in general, though it hardly changes anything for the most part [except Tenet]) is the sound editing was a bit of an issue at times. Sometimes the music is too loud over dialogue or the dialogue isn’t loud enough to hear everything being said. But that’s almost a nitpick, because the movie is fantastic otherwise.

Still taking Spielberg as my GOAT tho

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the review. Only real gripe I had with the movie (and tends to be an issue with Nolan’s movies in general, though it hardly changes anything for the most part [except Tenet]) is the sound editing was a bit of an issue at times. Sometimes the music is too loud over dialogue or the dialogue isn’t loud enough to hear everything being said. But that’s almost a nitpick, because the movie is fantastic otherwise.

Thank you!

Definitely agree with you on the sound editing at some points. But it was certainly a step up from the sound editing in Tenet.

Spielberg is super overrated IMO.

Starscream37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Yeah, I’d like Tenet a lot more if the sound editing wasn’t almost abysmal at times. The movie is too complex for the dialogue to be drowned out/almost silent at times. Hard to hook people when that happens.

Steven overrated? I’m curious as to why you think so. To each their own of course, not trying to argue or anything, I just like hearing other perspectives.

brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually disagree here. I think the sound editing was perfect at conveying what needed to be conveyed when it needed to. Never really found an issue with it

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starscream37: For context, I’ve seen Jaws, Indiana Jones, E.T., Bridge of Spies, Ready Player One, West Side Story, Minority Report, War of The Worlds, Jurassic Park, Catch Me If You Can and Tintin. For me, his movies lack grit, edge or punch, and are popcorn munchers to a detriment. Even Jaws, a thriller/horror, never manages to be genuinely scary or unsettling for a moment. I also feel like his set up’s tend to be too long and uninteresting, and his characters are forgettable and never leave an impact on me. I appreciate and acknowledge the way in which his movies have broken new ground, so perhaps it isn’t fair to call him overrated, but his movies just don’t speak to me.

goldeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey:Yeah. I thought it was good, but I've studied atomic bombs before, and have seen pictures of detonation, and thought this was a little bit unrealistic. I thought they could have gone all out with the alien looking nature of the bombs, which, granted, they did very well in the flashing scenes with them right after detonation that was expertly realistically done, but I felt they could have really illustrated how truly strange alien these powers are, seen in the below photos. The bottom one especially illustrates the frightening power, as you can see it silhouetted behind the palm trees.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

But like I said, it is very minor.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 krisbishop  Moderator

@theamazingspidey: I thought it was just me! Agreed with your opinion on Spielberg. He does well with epic and groundbreaking movies, but they don't connect with me as much as Nolan's films do.

goldeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, on the topic of Nolan's films I've seen, this right now would tie with Interstellar at #1, followed by Batman Begins, followed by TDK, followed by TDKR, followed far behind by Tenet. I need to see Inception though.

goldeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

1. The Dark Knight
  2. Interstellar
  3. Inception
  4. Oppenheimer
  5. Dunkirk

I'd personally say that Interstellar is the pinnacle of this, more so than this film, but it's close.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goldeneagle: Ah fair enough. I hadn’t seen any of these images before. Thanks for sharing!

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goldeneagle: God, I love Interstellar.

@krisbishop: For sure!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

glad to hear you enjoyed it so much :) can't say i was able to appreciate the nuances of it quite as well as you did but i thought it was a great film

Avatar image for chris2kzombieki
chris2kzombieki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s bullshit how it’s losing to Barbie in the box office.

That just continues to prove to you don’t need a good movie to make money, just a well known and popular name.

Avatar image for returnkaboom232
returnkaboom232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s bullshit how it’s losing to Barbie in the box office.

That just continues to prove to you don’t need a good movie to make money, just a well known and popular name.

womp

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 krisbishop  Moderator

@chris2kzombieki: Barbie has a wider appeal, lighter tone, and isn't have R-rated like Oppenheimer. It's actually very reasonable for it to beat Oppenheimer at the box office.

Box office has never meant anything about a movie's quality.