Forum Descriptions: Where Do I Put These Threads 2.0

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_  Online

Welcome to the brand new and super-shiny Forum Description 101: Where Do I Put These Threads thread. I'm Mercy and I'll be your guide today. This thread will give you brief descriptions of each of the main forums (and small overviews of what to do with character/concept forums) and how to know where to put your thread.

Part 1: Main Forums

1. Gen. Discussion

This is a list of the main forums, below, in order, we'll tell you what goes where
This is a list of the main forums, below, in order, we'll tell you what goes where

This forum pertains to anything related to comics. Topics like 'what's your favorite team', 'who's the best character', 'is the comic industry overrated' go here. Basically the vague topics with a broad scope. If you have something that pertains to a single character/team/publisher/item etc, it goes in that specific forum, which will be covered later down.

2. Bug Reporting

The forum name is about as straightforward as you get. This is the forum where any bugs (something that is broken with the site) goes. Make sure to post your OS and Browser and any details that's going on with the bug. For more info read How to submit a bug. If you are using any of the Stylish scripts designed by Pikahyper, shoot him a PM first to see if the bug is associated with that.

3. Artist Show-Off

This forum is the home to all of the amazingly talented artists at CV. If you have some work (done by YOU), then create a thread in there and let everybody marvel at it! This forum is also the home to all of our artist-related contests, which are open to everybody, as is the voting for the contests.

4. Off-Topic

Anything and everything not related to comics goes in this forum. Stuff about television shows, music, how pretty that girl you saw today was (seriously though, please don't make threads about that, it's a little awkward), etc. As a sidenote, if the television show did have a comic, we have a related forum, throw it in there (more on this later)

5. Contests

This forum is used for ACTUAL CONTESTS. These contests can be set up by the staff, the mods, or regular users. Prizes are optional. This forum is NOT for 'contests' like battles, or who has the coolest powers, or who gets the most chicks.

6. Battles

The battle forum is for actual fights between characters. Things like 'who has the coolest power' or 'who gets the most chicks' ARE NOT BATTLES. Just because you put 'vs' in the title, does not automatically make it battle forum worthy. They should be placed in general discussion or in off-topic (again depending on what they're about). As well, fights with characters who are not comic book characters or haven't made appearances in comic books (Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris, Barney Stinson vs Joey Tribbian etc) do not belong in the battle forum, either.

WHEN IS A BATTLE NOT A BATTLE: GUIDELINES ON WHAT A BATTLE IS

This has been discussed between the battle forum mods a bit. These are guidelines for what does and does not constitute a battle.

• Who Can Beat _____? - These are not battles and should be placed in that characters forum from this point forward. If they aren't and a mod notices, they'll be moved.
  • Power vs Power - Things like Optic Blast vs Heat Vision are not battles and will be moved to the appropriate forum from now on.
  • Item vs Item - Things like Mjolnir vs Captain America's Shield are not battles and will be moved to the appropriate forum from now on.
  • Can ___ Do ____? - Things like 'Can Wolverine's Claws Cut Cap's Shield' or "Can Superman's Heat Vision Melt Adamantium' are not battles and will be moved to the appropriate forum from now on.

For more information on the battle forum, please read The Battles Bible - MANDATORY READING BEFORE POSTING! and BATTLE FORUM RULES: ALL USERS MUST READ.

7. Fan-Fic

Pretty self explanatory. This forum is for ORIGINAL fan-fiction writing. DO NOT copy/paste stuff written by others and claim it as your own.

Fan-Fic rules can be found here.

8. RPG

This forum is for roleplaying games. However, it is only having to do with CV characters. For example, if you were to start a topic about Assassin's Creed, it would actually go in off-topic (providing that it doesn't have a comic book, in which case, it would go in the related forum). Things like 'who is the best RPGer', 'which team do you wish you were on', 'why is your character hero/neutral/villian' and of course actual RPGs and OOCs go in there. Things like 'what's the best RPG of the last decade' or things pertaining to Dragon Age, D&D etc, go in off-topic or their related forum.

For more information, check out the Official RPG Information Thread

9. Comic Book Preview

This forum is for the posting of official comic book previews. The only people who are allowed to create topics in this forum are staff members, due to copyright issues. If you want to post a solicit to something, do so in that team/character forum. If you post a topic in this forum, your topic will be moved and/or locked.

For more information on why this is, please read Purpose of This Board

10. API Developers

This forum deals with Comic Vine's API key.

11. Editing & Tools

This forum is to discuss the editing and wiki side of CV. If you have any questions about how things are done, post them here. There are also quite a few threads pinned to the top of that forum with guidelines, rules and help for all of our wiki editors. It's suggested that you read them before you start editing our database just so you know how we do things.

12. Podcast

This forum features discussions of the Comic Vine podcast and a question thread for G-Man and Inferiorego.

13. Quests

This forum is about the Comic Vine quest system. Whether you need help, want to know when the next one is (don't we all) or want to try and give help to others, this is your place to go.

Part 2: Specific Forums

Every character, concept, issue, team, publisher etc on Comic Vine has it's own forum. Rule of thumb is if it had a page, it has a forum. When you are making a thread involving a specific character (is Cyke the coolest character ever, how freaking awesome is Emma Frost, should X-23 have her own solo again), you put it in that characters forum.

If you're doing something like 'who is the best character currently being used at DC?' or something involving a specific publisher, you'd put it in that publisher's forum.

Pretty easy to grasp, yeah?

There are a couple different ways to access these forums. There's the dropdown at the top right of your bar.

Which will lead you to this. Clicking any of these names will take you to that specific forum
Which will lead you to this. Clicking any of these names will take you to that specific forum

There's also this, on the left, right underneath the forums tab

Again, clicking any of these will lead you directly to that forum
Again, clicking any of these will lead you directly to that forum

And then there's also this way, because obviously not every page displays on the popular lists.

We're going to use Emma Frost as an example. Go to her page.

On the right, just above the top editors list, you'll see this sidebar. Click on 'forum'
On the right, just above the top editors list, you'll see this sidebar. Click on 'forum'

And voila! You've found her forum.

Part 3: General Guidelines on Thread Posting and Tips to Figure Out Where Your Thread Goes

1. Comic Book Related Threads

When you post a thread, there are a couple of different ways to figure out which forum it belongs in. If you're doing a topic about a specific character, it goes in their forum. A topic about a team goes in that forum. If you're doing a topic about two characters (for example: Should Storm and Wolverine Hook Up?), since they're both X-Men, you'd put it in that forum. If they were both on different Marvel teams, but from Marvel, you put it in the Marvel forum so on and so forth. Makes sense, right?

2. Television Show/Movie Threads

If you're creating a thread having to deal with a television show and that television show has a spin-off comic, then that show also has a page related to the comic on CV. For example, if you wanted to create a thread about how Firefly is totally the best show ever, you'd throw it in the Serenity forum. Anything that doesn't have a page on the site and is a television show or movie would go in Off-Topic.

3. Video Game Threads

Just like shows and movies, many video games have related forums. For example, if you wanted to create a topic about how boss Chun Li is, we have a forum for that. Same thing goes for any other video game character that appeared in a comic book like Princess Peach or Dr. Liara T'Soni.

Conclusion

That wraps up our forum navigating/posting tutorial. If you have any questions/comments/concerns, feel free to post them below.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

Where do you put the threads that new users won't even read....you know, like this one....

/wise assness

Remi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Remi

The link for quest board needs editing :P

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Saren

TL;DR

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mercy_  Online
@Remi Whoooops
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ReVamp

And only old users comment...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mercy_  Online

@ReVamp said:

Nobody loves me :(

@Renchamp said:

You didn't say where to put the Give a Point/Take a Point threads. The garbage? Oh, right.

Sarcasm aside: dang, that's all I had to say.

If I had my way we'd have a game forum or something, that way I could shuffle them all of there and completely forget they exist.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Why are these threads being changed o_O are the new mods trying to make their mark or is there a reason for it....

kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#10  Edited By kartron

Hmm... Will try to keep in mind...!

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@Mercy_ said:

@ReVamp said:

Nobody loves me :(

At least now you know.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mercy_  Online

T_____T

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By fodigg

@Renchamp said:

You didn't say where to put the Give a Point/Take a Point threads.

Agreed. Would it be possible/desirable for the "add a point/subtract a point" threads get their own subforum? Maybe "games" or something so we can put "image above you" threads in there too?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Xanni15

Wow, so much hate for the Give/Take a Point threads.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By evilvegeta74
Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Hypothetically, if someone was to write and illustrate their own comic, starring existing characters, should that be posted in the fan-fic or artist show-off forum?

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

DarkWriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: I've been looking around (not very well, I'll admit) but I'm led to believe that we deal with only print comics (and their digital counterparts); no webcomics, right? I'm asking because there's a webcomic I enjoy and wanted to proselytize for, but I don't think this site is the right place for it. Just want to be sure. Thanks!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mercy_  Online

@mercy_: I've been looking around (not very well, I'll admit) but I'm led to believe that we deal with only print comics (and their digital counterparts); no webcomics, right? I'm asking because there's a webcomic I enjoy and wanted to proselytize for, but I don't think this site is the right place for it. Just want to be sure. Thanks!

Do you mean discussion of, or adding to the wiki? If you''re just talking about discussing the comic, that's absolutely within our bounds. One of my favorite comics is a webcomic (Romantically Apocalyptic) and I try and convert people any time that webcomics or good, little known comics comes up.

DarkWriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_:

@mercy_ said:

@darkwriter said:

Do you mean discussion of, or adding to the wiki? If you''re just talking about discussing the comic, that's absolutely within our bounds. One of my favorite comics is a webcomic (Romantically Apocalyptic) and I try and convert people any time that webcomics or good, little known comics comes up.

I guess I mean both. :) I'd like to post/discuss the comic (jl8comic.tumblr.com), and if there's a way I can create a wiki for it, I'd like to do that too.

G4hardcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where do you put the threads that new users won't even read....you know, like this one....

/wise assness

I'm reading it.

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ironspiderchan45
noomclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By noomclub

I like this topic.

Chuckwunoso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle:

I'm the shiniest user and I read 2% of it, which still counts madam!

crystal20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

will Try keep in mind..

Rey_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers