Is Zack Snyder washed up?

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Zack Snyder washed up? (42 votes)

Yes, the man's finished. 81%
No (explain) 19%

Even though he was never a venerable filmmaker with much creative talent, he was still relevant (for less-than-flattering reasons) during his DCEU days.

Now however, he does not even have the DC brand to ride on, so what can he do to stay in the spotlight? Rebel Moon isn't doing his name any favours. Sure, he still has his cultist fanbase but with a continuous lack of quality content from him, a lot of them would lose interest too and maybe move onto the next fad.

• 
DammeFavour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the point of this thread?

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great_Darkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, without some pre existing characters/IPs to work with, his lack of a lot of actual directing abilities outside of visuals, is really blatant. He can't make interesting characters/stories.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

DammeFavour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@straight-fire: what?

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DammeFavour: You obviously don't approve of this thread for some reason.

DammeFavour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@straight-fire: yea I don't approve of any bait thread, how is that cope?

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DammeFavour: Nah seems to me that you don't like when people criticize Snyder because I don't see how this is a bait thread.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@great_darkness: Come to think of it, most his films are based on existing works. He rode on the creative works of Alan Moore and Frank Miller.

DammeFavour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DammeFavour

@straight-fire: lol....you got all that from one line of text, a question no less? Stop projecting mate

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

: Come to think of it, most his films are based on existing works. He rode on the creative works of Alan Moore and Frank Miller.

Indeed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard Snyder had a lot of support in writing the Watchmen movie. He made some very enjoyable and rather decent movies throughout the DCEU's lifespan, but Rebel Moon was horrible, and Army of the Dead/Army of Thieves were entertaining but nothing special. He certainly could always pull something off, but I doubt it.

H47492934

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, without some pre existing characters/IPs to work with, his lack of a lot of actual directing abilities outside of visuals, is really blatant. He can't make interesting characters/stories.

I think the writing in his original works is the weakest aspect, but it’s not bad compared to most things. But I don’t think he writes everything he does.

I think Rebel Mo is suoer interesting as world. It’s not my favorite movie. But I love sci-fi.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He very well may be. His last two original movies were just not it for me; Rebel Moon and that Vegas zombie movie. It’s a shame really because I enjoy the majority of the rest of his filmography (except Sucker Punch, and the owl movie which I never even saw).

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always was. Mediocre directer just riding the coat tails of his betters IPs

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, after Rebel Moon 2... the first answer is now even more resounding.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Washed up?

That's assuming he was really good at one point, which he wasn't.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: If I could retitle this poll to "Is Zack Snyder a bum", I would.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: If I could retitle this poll to "Is Zack Snyder a bum", I would.

LOL.

I don't think Zack is a bad director. I'd say "mid" is the best way to describe him.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: He was mid before but he's either a bum now or will become one soon.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I think visually he's one of my favorites. His style would be perfect for most of these universes but his choices with story and lore, characters, etc etc. I want to feel bad for dude because he has a passion for it but I just can't get into most of his work.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he was always a hack. He has genuine talent, but he's a lot better when adapting other people's idea. Whenever he actually has full creative control he always produces awful and derivative films. He only has like 2 films I would actually consider good.

Xogenesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He simply can't do story and really shouldn't even be in the director's chair. He's trash, the definition of style-over-substance. Even before rebel moon he only had a handful of decent movies, most of which were carried by either his visual style or someone else's story. He's good at making stuff look cool, and I'll admit that I can enjoy the vibe and aesthetics of his style, but that's all he's really good for. He's better suited as a producer or directing assistant.

What I do find interesting though, is that his netflix zombie movie that everyone hates was actually decently reviewed by most critics. It's weird because audiences are usually much more lenient on these, and here is a Zack Snyder film with a decent RT score but the audiences seemed to hate it.

Ilyas97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the only movie of him which I liked was 300 and that’s it. The rest of his movies aren’t even boring just straight up unwatchable..

Now he’s starting to create Animated shows, hopefully that’s his Jam lol.

RJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RJR

Not really he has mixed track record, even an amazing director like christopher nolan has praised him and said that a lot of scifi media is inspired by him, he'll even James Cameron has praised him. So the fact that one iconic director and another with a great reputation can praise him, and both having solid track records, shows that that the amount of hate zack is just overblown. I mean yeah he does have his share of bad movies that even i hate, but is he washed up? not exactly.

macattack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has never been that great and has always had a rocky track record. He’s made a couple of decent films and a lot of poor ones

joshua755

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By joshua755

I always said Zack is a visual beast when it comes to

Film making but other than that noting else his track record is piss poor out side of a few films honestly after this trilogy is done on Netflix or once that deal is done I can’t see another studio green lighting him for a long while

RJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RJR

@joshua755 said:

I always said Zack is a visual best when it comes to

Film making but other than that noting else his track record is piss poor out side of a few films honestly after this trilogy is done on Netflix or once that deal is done I can’t see another studio green lighting him for a long while

Maybe not, but theres been talk going on that he might get a deal with A24, whether it pans out or not will be seen soon enough

joshua755

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rjr: damn well we will see on that than once this Netflix deal done if that does go through than studios really have faith and hope in him

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Xogenesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@great_darkness said:

I still can't forgive how he made the Superman character boring, especially in Justice League where he barely had any dialogue. ZSJL is his best DC entry and yet its guilty of one of the most glaring mistakes.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheInsufferable

Let's just say there's a few limited areas where he's good and he doesn't seem to know his own limits all that well.

TeaParty88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TeaParty88

it can be said to any superhero CBM filmmaker of the last 10 years (except Nolan for obvious reasons). don't come at me with James Gunn bs, IMO WB made a huge mistake making that guy as the head of DC studios, outside of his GOTG movies, he never made anything truly remarkable.

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, for Rebel Moon's distribution it's unfortunately the same deal as his WB/DC days. Watchmen, BvS and JL all had waaaayyyy better cuts to the point where they're entirely different films but the studios are so dead set on marketing to younger audiences with the PG13 ratings that we get stuff like we've seen. I'd say it's understandable but I was 8 when he made 300 and I've watched it multiple times since the first viewing lol. When Snyder's vision is unfettered we get amazing films so I'm certain Rebel Moon will be no different when we get all of it but I am extremely frustrated because if they just went with the R ratings in the first place we could've seen both cuts for a limited time in theaters, streamed it on Netflix and also have Dune part 2 within a few months of each other. Hopefully studios get out of this mindset soon.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100%

Netflix seemed to be his last hope, and he's failed them 3 times in a row. I doubt he'll have any career after this.

saltnara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By saltnara

I'm not sure he's even a great visual artist tbh. Most of his films were shot by Larry Fong who IS a great a visual artist. Snyder handled photography for Army of the Dead and that movie looked terrible https://19216801.onl/ .

RJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100%

Netflix seemed to be his last hope, and he's failed them 3 times in a row. I doubt he'll have any career after this.

I dont know about that theres been spreading word that the studio A24 will be picking him up

RJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saltnara said:

I'm not sure he's even a great visual artist tbh. Most of his films were shot by Larry Fong who IS a great a visual artist. Snyder handled photography for Army of the Dead and that movie looked terrible.

If were going the credit route than he really didn't write most of the movies he directed and the only ones he was involved with have given him a mixed reception with ZSJL, Wonder Woman, AOTD, AOT, being given good critical receptions and Sucker Punch, Rebel Moon 1 and 2, being negatively recieved by critics. So hes a mixed bag but not overwhelming wash out that people here are exaggerating about, if you want a true wash out look at uwe boll for instance.

RJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reaperthegrim: Yeah, I echo your sentiments.

Just to be sure

I mean you can say that about any director riding out an IP, I mean look at the russo brother, outside of marvel they haven't really made any good movies. Hell you can say that even when it came to marvel all they were, were just directors for hire since they were just following the outline that feige gave them and never had true control over the stories in their movies, and the only ones who did have control was James Gunn and Chloe Zhao.

Their pre marvel movies you me and dupree, welcome to collinwood and pieces were not good, and eveything after endgame like cherry and the grey man were just as equally not good movies.

So does that now mean their washed out too and just rode out the tail of an IP?

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rjr said:
@reaperthegrim said:

ghostodoofus2 said:

Just to be sure

I mean you can say that about any director riding out an IP, I mean look at the russo brother, outside of marvel they haven't really made any good movies. Hell you can say that even when it came to marvel all they were, were just directors for hire since they were just following the outline that feige gave them and never had true control over the stories in their movies, and the only ones who did have control was James Gunn and Chloe Zhao.

Their pre marvel movies you me and dupree, welcome to collinwood and pieces were not good, and eveything after endgame like cherry and the grey man were just as equally not good movies.

I guess so. Your post seems like its making me out to be some hypocritical marvel superfan but I don't particularly care for the Russo's either.

RJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RJR

@reaperthegrim: my post was just to be sure there was no bias here since when it comes to marvel, dc or even snyder there is plenty of it. You obviously showed me you werent based on your response, so respect right there.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rjr said:
@reaperthegrim said:

ghostodoofus2 said:

Just to be sure

I guess so. Your post seems like its making me out to be some hypocritical marvel superfan but I don't particularly care for the Russo's either.

I'm also of the same opinion, the Russos are also washed. Kevin Feige was the real mastermind behind the MCU films they directed.

cj_the_dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostodoofus2:

I'm also of the same opinion, the Russos are also washed. Kevin Feige was the real mastermind behind the MCU films they directed.

Now, I'm sure I'm asking the question everyone wants to know, but - if there's so many bad superhero film directors with fanbases - why is Zack Snyder the target of so many of your threads? I'm not the biggest fan myself, but you don't see me running around making thread after thread targeting him. And, of course, there was that unfortunate incident (was it a couple of years ago now?) where you made a thread comparing his fans to the Taliban.

Honestly, the level of vitriol you have for him is just a little bit pathetic. For comparison - to take an example of a director I absolutely loathe - I have not made one single thread on this site having a bitch and a moan about JJ Abrams, nor have do I spend half of my time complaining about him. Despite how bad I think he's been for Star Wars.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The difference is I don't see people going out of their way to defend the Russo brothers like people do Snyder. No matter how many mediocre films he's behind some people will still defend him and blame others when his films don't do well.

cj_the_dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cj_the_dj
@straight-fire said:

The difference is I don't see people going out of their way to defend the Russo brothers like people do Snyder. No matter how many mediocre films he's behind some people will still defend him and blame others when his films don't do well.

Even if you disagree with the Russo brothers as a specific example, this phenomena of a director being defended regardless of what they put out isn't unique to Snyder. And it doesn't make the number of threads the OP has made criticising Snyder any less sad. Who is going to change their mind, because Monsieur Ghostdoofus2 made his 50 billionth thread on Comicvine explaining why the sun does not, in fact, shine out of Zack Snyder's backside?

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 death4bunnies  Moderator
Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

@cj_the_dj: He's a pseudo-auteur wanting undeserved praise for mediocre to piss-poor films he made that draw ideas from existing works of others who are far more creative than he could ever be. I do not like seeing men like him hailed as geniuses. The fans who believe in his supposed genius are more often than not extremists and vile bigots. Is it necessary for me to make these pejorative polls? No, but I enjoy doing so.

Maybe a poll like this could serve as a sanity check that our peers on this forum have not caught the plague of this Snyder fad.

Additionally, maybe I'm also an asshole who begrudges directors that left bad tastes in my mouth and indulges in seeing them fail. Still, I operate within the confines of ComicVine rules. So... it's my right to play asshole so long as I maintain a level of conformity to forum regulation.

You can resist mocking directors you loathe? Congrats. I'm not so forgiving but that's my problem.

cj_the_dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cj_the_dj

@ghostodoofus2: I'm not here to tell you what you have a right to do or anything like that. Indeed, I do think it's your right to make as many polls as you like dissing Snyder. Hell, I agree he's not particularly talented, so I'd even be in favour of making a couple of threads saying exactly that. I was merely observing that the level of unrestrained dislike for him is - to my mind - a little bit pathetic, and that you probably have better uses of your time than having your one billionth whine about him on the internet. As the good saying goes -

Touch some grass.
Touch some grass.
The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@death4bunnies: Yes, not much longer but same deal as watchmen and BvS where the 30 minutes plus unfiltered R rated scenes completely changed the stories