Are these the greatest pieces of literature ever written of the past 200 years?

TeaParty88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TeaParty88

The Brothers Karamazov

No Caption Provided

In Search of Lost Time

No Caption Provided

Moby Dick

No Caption Provided

Ulysses

No Caption Provided

One Hundred Years of Solitude

No Caption Provided

War and Peace

No Caption Provided

The Old Man d The Sea

No Caption Provided

The Recognitions

No Caption Provided

East of Eden

No Caption Provided

Absalom, Absalom!

No Caption Provided

If not, what are your top 10 of the last 200 years?

Agmine570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offence, but Ulysses being alongside those masterpieces?

Anyways, people seriously need to read In Search of Lost Time at least once in their lifetime.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where’s One Piece?

Konohana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where’s AoT?

XD_ist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's MCU?

Supreme101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6 Supreme101  Online

Where's ASOIAF?

Shepard-Croft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's House of M?

Jurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jurance

I've only read Moby Dick and The Old Man and The Sea. Moby deserved to be on this list, idk about TOMATS, it's probably up there as well but there might be other books better than it, it's still really good though. I never heard of the rest other than War and Peace but that book seemed boring so I never cared to touch it.

@agmine570 said:

Anyways, people seriously need to read In Search of Lost Time at least once in their lifetime.

What's it about? The title got me interested in it, hopefully it's not a waste.

Jurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's ASOIAF?

That's an entire book series. Storm of swords should be on here though.

Agmine570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jurance said:

Moby deserves to be on this list,

Agreed. It is though.

I never heard of the rest other than War and Peace but that book seemed boring so I never cared to touch it.

I advice reading Anna Karerina instead if you want to read at least one novel from Tolstoy. It's interesting and a lot more things happen than in War and Peace, though that one can get boring too.

@agmine570 said:

What's it about? The title got me interested in it, hopefully it's not a waste.

It's about Marcel Proust talking about his entire life in a very obsessively detailed manner. It's more of an extremely detailed and philosophical diary than a novel tbh. It's shockingly long, I only read up to 3 of the 7 books it is consisted of, and the ending part. It's boring tbh and can put you to sleep anytime, but when you want to get into a meditative state or whatever, there is no better option than reading In Search of Lost Time. Most people of the current generation is not gonna love it though.

@jurance said:
@supreme101 said:

Where's ASOIAF?

That's an entire book series. Storm of swords should be on here though.

It's clear the OP is focusing on much more universal themes and books that had an enormous impact for the history of literatire(hence why all of the novels in the thread came out before 1950) here. Manga or fantasy or comics are medium/genres that cannot be taken as high art by the elite literary mind or whatever. I really doubt the OP read all those novels though.

ShockMcuWaxIf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never read those books. I did some research though.

Jurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agmine570:

Agreed. It is though.

Mb I meant "deserved" not "deserves", the S and D are just so close to each other on the keyboard that I misclicked.

I advice reading Anna Karerina instead if you want to read at least one novel from Tolstoy. It's interesting and a lot more things happen than in War and Peace, though that one can get boring too.

Turns out it has 2 movies as well. But the movies are 4 hours in total so I ain't gonna bother with them, Novel seems easier to finish so I'll give it a shot someday. It seems like a bore though, some books here like the recognition seem so much more interesting.

It's about Marcel Proust talking about his entire life in a very obsessively detailed manner.

Then I guess the storyline perfectly matches with the title because he's talking about his entire life going over the moments he wasted. Everyone's had a similar episode at least once in their lifetime.

It's more of an extremely detailed and philosophical diary than a novel tbh. It's shockingly long, I only read up to 3 of the 7 books it is consisted of, and the ending part. It's boring tbh but when you want to get into a meditative state or whatever, there is no better option than reading In Search of Lost Time. Most people of the current generation is not gonna love it though.

All books are boring when you're not in a good state of mind tbh cuz then you won't be able to properly comprehend what's happening.

and can put you to sleep anytime

So an easy way to fall asleep. Seems useful.

It's clear the OP is focusing on much more universal themes and books that had an enormous impact for the history of literatire(hence why all of the novels in the thread came out before 1950) here. Manga or fantasy or comics are medium/genres that cannot be taken as high art by the elite literary mind or whatever. I really doubt the OP read all those novels though.

True I guess. I have no idea why mangas or freaking MCU was brought here.

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Missing some Solzhenitsyn. Crime and punishment is good as well. Brave new World?

Scholomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vagabond clears no diff.

XD_ist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By XD_ist

@jurance: was just joking, haha (As I think the manga people were...)

TeaParty88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TeaParty88

I really doubt the OP read all those novels though.

You're correct. I'm in the middle of reading "Ulysses," and I've only read Volume 1 of "In Search of Lost Time," but I feel like both of these works influenced the Modernist movement among mid-20th-century writers.

TeaParty88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TeaParty88
@jurance said:

idk about TOMATS, it's probably up there as well but there might be other books better than it, it's still really good though.

I had a dilemma choosing "As I Lay Dying" over TOMATS but I strictly followed the one work per author rule when I made the list. "Absalom, Absalom!" is, in my opinion, slightly better than "As I Lay Dying," though the latter remains my all-time favorite Faulkner novel.

DarthAdi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DarthAdi

Some of them are.

StrawDru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers