Follow

Captain Atom

Character » Captain Atom appears in 819 issues.

Nathaniel Adam was coerced into an experiment which bonded alien metal to his skin and sent him 18 years into the future, giving birth to Captain Atom, a superhero fueled by the Quantum Field.

Whats the difference between Captain Atom and Firestorm?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

Captain Atom 

Fire Storm 

they seem to have the same or similar powers, with different outfits. Is one more powerful then another? Whats the difference?
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Static Shock
    @DEGRAAF:  

Captain Atom's power source is the Quantum Field, a limitless void composed of all matter and energy. 

Firestorm's power source is the Firestorm Matrix. 

Both have the ability to manipulate matter and shoot energy blasts. However, Captain Atom is more accustomed to energy blasts, while Firestorm is more accustomed to atomic transmution (although both of them can do both things). Firestorm can become intangible. Captain Atom cannot. Captain Atom's ability to use the Quantum Field is mainly based on his will, and I don't think the same is said for Firestorm using the Firestorm Matrix. Captain Atom possess superhuman physical attributes on a much greater level than Firestorm (Class 100+ strength, near-indestructible durability, light speed flight in space, etc). Captain Atom is generally more powerful than Firestorm, having defeated Firestorm (Ronnie, while merged with Stein) in battle on two occasions. Against Jason, I don't think the outcome would be much different. 

However, since both Ronnie and Jason are now one as Firestorm, it could be argued that they are more powerful than Captain Atom now, since they are powerful enough to trigger than Big Bang...
    Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Silver2467
    @Static Shock said:
    " @DEGRAAF:   Captain Atom's power source is the Quantum Field, a limitless void composed of all matter and energy.  Firestorm's power source is the Firestorm Matrix.  Both have the ability to manipulate matter and shoot energy blasts. However, Captain Atom is more accustomed to energy blasts, while Firestorm is more accustomed to atomic transmution (although both of them can do both things). Firestorm can become intangible. Captain Atom cannot. Captain Atom's ability to use the Quantum Field is mainly based on his will, and I don't think the same is said for Firestorm using the Firestorm Matrix. Captain Atom possess superhuman physical attributes on a much greater level than Firestorm (Class 100+ strength, near-indestructible durability, light speed flight in space, etc). Captain Atom is generally more powerful than Firestorm, having defeated Firestorm (Ronnie, while merged with Stein) in battle on two occasions. Against Jason, I don't think the outcome would be much different.  However, since both Ronnie and Jason are now one as Firestorm, it could be argued that they are more powerful than Captain Atom now, since they are powerful enough to trigger than Big Bang... "
    I think this is the main difference. Both have energy and matter-related powers, but Firestorm is required to know the chemical composition of whatever he transmutes. That I know, this has never been established for Atom (has it?). But the source of their power makes all the difference, since the Firestorm Matrix has recently been stated as having ties to the Big Bang. 
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Static Shock
    @Silver2467 said:
    I think this is the main difference. Both have energy and matter-related powers, but Firestorm is required to know the chemical composition of whatever he transmutes. That I know, this has never been established for Atom (has it?). But the source of their power makes all the difference, since the Firestorm Matrix has recently been stated as having ties to the Big Bang.  "

I don't think that was established for Atom, at all. When he instinctively transmuted arrows into butterflies, he made it look easy. LOL. But, you're right. The power source makes all fo the difference.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Static Shock:
    do you happen to have any scans of them fighting? I just find it interesting to have to heroes with basically the same powers from two different sources. I know in Brightest Day its been stated that Firestorm has the potential to be the most powerful Superhero ever (whether that is physically or not is debatable). I would think he would ba a heavy hitter in the DCU and although Atom has more knowledge, and experience as a hero Firestorm can transmutate anything as long as he knows the composition of the item he wishes to change it too. Im curious if he can alter gravity around him or if he can change his own body in to being larger?
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Static Shock
    @DEGRAAF: I do. I'll post them later.

I don't think Firestorm can alter gravity, though...
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Static Shock:
    Thanks
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Static Shock
    @DEGRAAF: The scans you asked for.

This is their first fight. Captain Atom made short work of him here.

This is their second fight. Firestorm drew this one out a bit longer, but the outcome was the same, and relatively worst than the first battle.  

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Static Shock:
    the second scan of the second fight... 

Is Captain Atom refering to himself in the 3rd person or was their a previous Captain Atom that fought Firestorm?
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Static Shock:
    Do you think nate can beat deathstorm?
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Static Shock

@Silver2467: In referrence to Captain Atom's ability to manipulate matter, Captain Atom, even though he's shown to be capable of using this ability, claimed that he wasn't very good at it. To be generous, I'd say that his ability to manipulate matter (transmutation and the like) is mid-tier, at best. In comparison to Firestorm, limitations aside (and not counting the Brightest Day version, whose transmutation abilities happens to be limited by Ronnie's lack of intelligence), I'd say Firestorm fares better than Captain Atom as far as matter manipulation goes. 

@entropy_aegis: The Blackest Night version of Firestorm? Absolutely. He's not that much different from Jason Rusch Firestorm. Hell, Captain Atom defeated a magical evil version of the Elemental Firestorm during the War of the Gods event (Shadowstorm). Elemental Firestorm was already more powerful than the original Firestorm also...

@DEGRAAF: Captain Atom is referring to himself in the 3rd person. The part about him mentioning that Captain Atom beat Firestorm before was the previous fight they had in Captain Atom #5 (which is the first fight posted before the second on in question).

Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Leliel
    @Static Shock:  Sort of a weird question but what would happen if Firestorm used Green Lantern ring? Would he be able to manipulate the energy wave into most things?
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Static Shock
    @Leliel: Firestorm would first have to have a sufficient amount of willpower to use a Green Lantern ring. Not everybody can use such a weapon, which is why members of the Green Lantern Corps are handpicked by the rings themselves.  

But, if he was able to use one, he'd be using it like every other Lantern does. 
    Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Leliel
    @Static Shock:  Well I didn't know if the Green Lantern energy could be transformed or be used through other types
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Static Shock
    @Leliel: You were wondering if Firestorm could transmute the energy to his use, using his own powers? 

Green Lanterns do that already, shaping the energy into whatever they will it to. Firestorm (Ronnie), however, hasn't shown the ability to transmute energy with his power alone. There was an instance in the Millennium event when Captain Atom had to assist him in transmuting the force of an energy blast from Highmaster. Firestorm didn't even know what he had done until Captain Atom explained it for him. I'm thinking that if Ronnie had the will to use a Green Lantern ring, he would only be able to manipulate the energy with his will.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.